Thursday, August 29, 2013

Prayer

   Almost every night before bedtime we sit with the kids on their beds and pray. Some nights if we forget they are quick to remind us mommy daddy we forgot to pray. So sweet! Now I will be the first to admit that there have been some nights that I have had a really long day of constant fights, whining, spankings, etc. and am ready to check out and try to skip the prayer routine. Today I was reading Philippians where, Paul tells the church how and why he is praying for them. This hit me like a ton of bricks! When you pray with your children, you are teaching your children how to pray. At this moment in our lives I feel like there are so many things/ decisions that we need to make and some different options to look at and I have no answers for any of them...  None! There are things that have happened good and bad and my first thought when praying is to thank God for the good and not the bad. Now maybe the bad could have been a bad day, a bad conversation, a friend or family member who has been wrong to you, etc. but I am constantly being reminded especially by my wonderful husband to pray for that situation or person. When my kids are fighting be thankful for them. No it is not always easy but be thankful that Lord gave these children to me. When someone you love has wronged you pray for them. "Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." Luke 6:28

   For me it takes incredible strength not to insult someone in return that has wrong me or my family. But I must always remember what God says about me. No matter what negative thing that was said to me or about me God loves me. God made me and he has a plan for me. If I can teach me children anything it would be this! Instead of retaliating God wants us the break the cycle. Many friends, families, relationship go through cycles and we need to learn to break that nasty cycle. "Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing." 1Peter 3:9  Praying is not saying a bunch of fancy words to God but just talking to him, asking for help when you are in need, thanking him for all he has done, and asking forgiveness when you are wrong!   Thanks for allowing me to share my heart today!

No comments: